The romantic way in which the vet and his wife met and fell in love .

Education Articles

8 Views

        

Dr. Jan and Diane Pol of

Advertisement

Dr. Jan Pol can definitively say that the reality show based on the ins and outs of his veterinary service has been an overwhelming success. In fact, his veterinary clinic, Pol Veterinary Services, is the reliable place in his community to take every creature for medical needs, with more than 20,000 customers in his 40-year career.

Dr. Jan and Diane Pol from “The Incredible Dr. Pol ’| Frederick M. Brown / Getty Images

But, as the saying goes, behind every good man is a great woman. In this case, an incredible woman, Dr.’s wife. Pol, Diane Pol.

Advertisement

Read more about this extraordinary couple’s love story and how they met and came to build the small animal hospital that could.

Dr. Pol’s journey to become a vet

Dr. Pol, born in the Netherlands, studied Veterinary College at the University of Utrecht in the 1970s and studied hard to become a veterinarian.

“I was the youngest of six children on a dairy farm in the Netherlands during the Second World War. When I was 12 years old, the local vet had me take me to my brother’s farm to help with a few small sows that were throwing. ”

“That was the beginning of my interest in veterinary practice and I then worked on obtaining a diploma in veterinary medicine.”

“In 1954, my youngest sister moved to Ontario, Canada, and I became an exchange student in Michigan from 1961 to 1962, allowing my parents to visit my sister in Canada. When I started studying. . . , we were told that it would be impossible to practice in that country. As it turned out, I am one of the two of a dozen classmates who actually went into veterinary practice. “

The Incredible Diane Pol

Diane is a 100% partner in the veterinary clinic and although she does not help to treat the animals, it is her administrative knowledge and organization that keeps the busy clinic moving smoothly.

“My first experience after graduating was working for a vet in Harbor Beach, Michigan,” Dr. Pol to Veterinary Practice today in 2012. “My wife, Diane, and I, however, wanted to start our own practice here in Weidman, Michigan. When the practice opened in 1981, 80% of our practice was dairy, with the remaining 20% horses and small animals. “

“We worked from a room that was built in the corner of the garage until the practice outgrown that small space. Diane and I managed to buy more real estate next door and build a clinic – a double wide trailer, that was all we could afford with interest rates of nearly 20%. “

How the wrist met

Before he married his wife Diane, Dr. Pol to move to New Zealand to open a veterinary practice. But his plans changed after he met his life partner.

Diane and Jan Pol met when he was a student at the foreign exchange in Mayville
High School in 1961 during its final year. They held an exchange of letters after his return to the Netherlands. After a while Dr. Pol to Diane to meet his parents. At that time they knew that their relationship went beyond pen pals and that they wanted to get married.

Eventually the couple got married in 1967, continued to live in the Netherlands for a few more years and eventually moved back to Michigan.

Diane received the diploma of a special reading teacher and was a reading teacher until 1981 when she left education to become a Dr. Pol to help run his business and take care of their children.

She really is an incredible partner!

Read more: ‘The Incredible Dr. Pol ’: The Real Reason Dr. Emily Left

Advertisement